The Curbside Cart Collection & Recycling Program helps our community keep tonnes of material out of the landfill every year — and that helps Leduc meet its residential waste diversion targets, which means a cleaner, greener environment for us and for future generations.
New utility customers receive a **Sort Smart Kit** when their curbside carts are delivered. Each residential utility household is given a kitchen container, an organics cart and a waste cart – all a family needs to participate in curbside cart collection. Under the cart collection program, families continue to put recyclables into a blue bag and simply sort organics.
With the significant amounts of organics collected through the curbside program, Leduc is now diverting 52% of its residential waste. Collecting organics keeps many tonnes of material from being landfilled.
Leduc’s automated curbside collection system has several advantages:
- Cost-effective - allowing the city to introduce organics pickup with no increase in the residential utility fee.
- Collection is completed more quickly.
- Significantly reduces worker injury.
- All factors save the city and taxpayer money.
Your carts are designed so the automated arms on the collection trucks can grasp the sides of the carts, lift the carts over the truck and empty the material into the truck.
The trucks require 1 metre clear on all sides and above, each cart so the automated arm has room to manoeuvre. Carts can be emptied only if the 1 metre clear zone is observed.
Curbside collection uses different trucks for each type of material. Collection starts at 7am on collection day but trucks will pick up the 2 carts and the blue bags at different times throughout the day. Collection will be complete by 7pm.
What materials are accepted in the program?
- Organics – All food and yard waste, and many items made from natural materials such as soiled paper and cardboard.
- Recyclables – Plastic containers with the recycling logo, tin/aluminum cans and plates, clean paper and cardboard
- Waste – Any household items that aren’t organic or can’t be recycled such as plastic bags, diapers and glass.
What materials are not accepted?
Never put **household hazardous waste** or **electronic waste** in your collection your carts. These materials can be safely disposed of at one of these facilities provided by the City of Leduc:
- **Eco Station** (formerly known as the Recycling Depot)
- **Waste Management Facility**
- **Leduc Bottle Depot**
How do I know what to put where?
With all of the available *resources* on this site, **sorting your waste** is easy!
Toss and Sort Game link and image
|Sort Smart App link and image||
Collection Calendars & Map link
>> Materials that should never go in your collection cart
>> Your Sort Smart Kit
>> Environmental Background Report
>> 2014 Environmental Progress Report