Eco-friendly Furnishings and Features at the Leduc Eco-Station
Eco-friendly updates to the Eco-Station completed in 2019, support the City in realizing our environmental goals and priorities set out in the Environmental Plan.
Thanks to the Municipal Climate Change Action Centre grant the City was enabled to complete a 44-panel solar panel array on the roof of the facility. It is a 17 kilowatt system, with a minimum 25-year lifespan. The system will pay for itself after 14 years (2033) and have positive cash flow thereafter. The annual greenhouse gas offset is over 10 tonnes, this is equivalent to taking 2 vehicles off the road and would power 2 residential homes on an annual basis.
The solar panels offer enough energy to power the entire station, making it the second net zero facility in Leduc – the first being the Operations Building. The Eco Station’s 44 panels add to the over 5600 existing solar panels on other city facilities, including the Operations Building and Leduc Recreation Centre.
The Eco-Station was furnished with the environment in mind, showcasing a variety of functional products that give recycled materials a new life.
Other Eco-friendly attributes include:
- Walls painted with 100% recycled latex paint
- Marmoleum flooring which is a renewable and raw material
- Hemp shelving
- LED lighting
- A tankless water heater
- An air hand dryer
- A high velocity fan coil system for heating and cooling
- A dual flush toilet
- Windows with R25 Batt insulation
- Skylights for natural lighting
- Walls are hardie board siding (wood concrete composite) and metal
- Entrance sign contains recycled materials
- Solar powered gate arm
- Dark sky design principles for site lighting
- Rain barrel and composter
- Pollinator garden
- Building roof slanted for maximum solar potential