Leduc Transit ridership increase with on-demand service
The on-demand service expanded local transit coverage to 100 per cent of the city and both Leduc and Nisku business parks, resulting in significantly enhanced service. This granted access to areas outside of the previous fixed-route network that covered 42 per cent.
“On-demand transit provides a more flexible service to our residents and suits our unique mobility needs,” says City of Leduc Mayor Bob Young. “Residents and businesses jointly benefit by giving each better access to employment and local talent, and in return bolsters our economic opportunities and contributes to our thriving and growing community.”
The increase in ridership has also comes with efficiency as costs per passenger has decreased by 47 per cent from $51.72 to $27.60.
“We know how critical it is to connect people to and from the businesses in Nisku Business Park through effective, efficient transit servic," says Leduc County Mayor Tanni Doblanko. "Through our partnership with the City of Leduc, Leduc Transit’s on-demand solution has done this in a way that not only increased coverage and frequency of service within the park, but also reduced our operating costs – saving taxpayers’ money. We have seen a huge increase in ridership since moving to an on-demand model, and with 450 flex stops in the service area, we’re confident riders can get where they need to go, when they need to be there."
Leduc service overview
- Four vehicles cover a service area of 60 sq. km.
- 450 flex stops with an average of a 5-minute pickup wait time.
- 96 per cent on-time performance for pickups.
- 107 average passengers per weekday; averaging 3.9 passengers per vehicle hour.
- 57 per cent increase in headway from 30 minutes to 13 minutes.
- 60 per cent increase to hours in service from 8.6 to 13.8 hours.
– 30 –