Rogers Hometown Hockey is Heading to Leduc, February 2-3
– Festival taking place at the Leduc Recreation Centre with special daytime broadcast
– NHL alum Glenn Anderson to join the weekend festivities
– Special live performance by multi-award winning Canadian country music star, Gord Bamford
TORONTO (January 16, 2019) RogersTM Hometown HockeyTM Tour presented by Scotiabank and Dodge is heading to Leduc, AB, for a celebration of hockey on February 2 and 3. Hosts Ron MacLean and Tara Slone will be on site for the festivities, which include meet-and-greet opportunities with NHL alum Glenn Anderson, live local entertainment, and the live Sportsnet NHL broadcast.
The two-day hockey festival begins on Saturday, Feb. 2 at Noon MT at the Leduc Recreation Centre, and will conclude on Sunday afternoon following the Rogers Hometown Hockey outdoor viewing party. The daytime broadcast kicks off with a special pre-game show hosted by MacLean and Slone live from the Sportsnet Mobile Studio beginning at 11:30 a.m. MT, followed by a showdown between the Edmonton Oilers and Montreal Canadiens, on Sportsnet, Sportsnet NOW and Rogers NHL LIVE.
Rogers Hometown Hockey Festival Details:
The free hockey-themed weekend features games, prize giveaways, fun activities, and live local entertainment for the whole family, including:
- Rogers Fan Hub: Rogers celebrates your community within the Fan Hub. Help support local minor hockey and participate in fun and interactive experiences, autograph signings with NHL alum Glenn Anderson, video game stations, bubble hockey, and popcorn!
- Sportsnet Virtual Photo Booth and Interactive Games: Fans have the chance to get close to their favourite players through virtual technology. Fans can take photos with virtual images of NHL stars, and have the photo emailed directly to their device for social sharing and their chance to win great prizes. In addition, hockey players of all ages will be able to show off their hockey skills and see how they match up to the NHL stars!
- The Hockey Circus Show: Come see Paz, our world-renowned hockey acrobat! Paz juggles everything from pucks to flaming hockey sticks all while standing on top of a net. It is an experience that the family will never forget.
- Scotiabank Community Hockey Rink: A family-friendly outdoor hockey space to engage hockey fans, interact with NHL alumni, celebrate the game and play ball hockey. Scotiabank will also be donating $15,000 to minor hockey associations in the community.
- Ram Haul of Fame: Features the Ram 1500 in a hockey-themed obstacle course that will test the skills of fans of all ages. Also, fans have the opportunity to enter the Breakaway Giveaway contest to win an all-new 2019 Ram 1500 for their family and $5,000 for their local minor hockey association. All contest entrants will receive a free branded toque courtesy of Dodge.
- Dr. Oetker Giuseppe Pizzeria: Fans can enjoy a complimentary slice of Giuseppe Pizzeria pizza fresh out of the oven, and learn more about the Find Giuseppe contest with many great prizes to be won!
Tim Hortons: As fans are enjoying the festival, warm up with a complimentary coffee or hot chocolate from the Tim Hortons mobile truck.
Playmobil Kids Zone: Fans have the chance to face off against friends and family with the PLAYMOBIL NHL Arena and its lineup of NHL figures. In the zone, fans will also be able to enter to win a new NHL playset.
- Live Local Entertainment: Live music featured throughout the weekend beginning with the St. Arnaud performing on Saturday followed by Krissy Feniak on Sunday.
- Ted Rogers Community Grants: Ted Rogers Community Grants are being awarded to local Canadian organizations to help support educational programs that enable Canadian youth to succeed inside and outside the classroom, including in Leduc.
- Giving Together to support hockey in your community: Every week, Rogers is also Giving Together to support hockey in local communities. Attendees can participate in giving back through 50/50 draws or by purchasing popcorn and food from the on-site BBQ. All proceeds are donated to minor hockey organizations.
Rogers Hometown Hockey Event and Broadcast Details
Location: Leduc Recreation Centre, 4330 Black Gold Drive, Leduc, AB T9E 3C3
· Saturday, Feb. 2 – Festival open from Noon MT to 6 p.m. MT
· Sunday, Feb. 3 – Festival opens at 9 a.m. MT and runs through the end of the Rogers Hometown Hockey outdoor viewing party
- Special Guests: Tyler Smith of the Humboldt Broncos and a special live performance by Alberta’s own Gord Bamford
- Game Matchup : Edmonton Oilers vs. Montreal Canadiens, 11:30 a.m. MT (Sportsnet, Sportsnet NOW, Rogers NHL LIVE)
- Bob and Kay McGill: We recount the journey for former NHL player Bob McGill and his mother, long-time Leduc Minor Hockey Association volunteer and first female president, Kay McGill, as they made their way into Leduc’s Sports Hall of Fame.
- My Hometown Must: Tara heads to the Energy Discovery Centre. 70 years ago, a major crude oil reserve was discovered southwest of Edmonton. Named Leduc No.1, the site marked the beginning of an oil-rich Alberta. Daniel Wilfred Claypool gives Tara a tour of the centre and talks about his time in the oil fields, which began in 1949.
Social Media Links
Like Rogers Hometown Hockey Facebook.com/RogersHometownHockey
Follow Rogers Hometown Hockey on Twitter @HometownHockey_
Follow Rogers Hometown Hockey on Instagram @HometownHockey
Official website, Sportsnet sportsnet.ca
Like Sportsnet Facebook.com/Sportsnet
Follow Sportsnet on Twitter @Sportsnet
Follow Sportsnet on Instagram @Sportsnet
Follow Ron MacLean @RonMacLeanHTH
Follow Tara Slone @TaraSlone
About the RogersTM Hometown HockeyTM Tour presented by Scotiabank and Dodge
The Rogers Hometown Hockey Tour rolls into 25 communities across Canada this season with a weekend of free outdoor hockey festivities for all ages. The weekend culminates in an outdoor viewing party of an NHL game broadcast every Sunday on Sportsnet, with Ron MacLean and Tara Slone hosting live on site from the Sportsnet Mobile Studio. For more information on the tour, please follow Rogers Hometown Hockey on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Sportsnet is Canada’s #1 sports media brand. Uniting Canadians through sport, Sportsnet’s multimedia offerings include Sportsnet (consisting of 4 regional channels: East, Ontario, West, and Pacific), Sportsnet ONE, Sportsnet 360, Sportsnet World, the Sportsnet Radio Network, Sportsnet.ca, Sportsnet NOW, the Sportsnet app, and podcasts. Sportsnet is the official Canadian NHL national multiplatform rights holder, and is the regional broadcaster for the Vancouver Canucks, Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers, and Toronto Maple Leafs. Sportsnet also has extensive coverage of the Blue Jays, as well as NBA, MLB, Grand Slam of Curling, Rogers Cup, CHL, IndyCar, WWE, Premier League, and FA Cup. Sportsnet is part of Rogers Media, which is a subsidiary of Rogers Communications Inc. (TSX, NYSE: RCI). Visit Sportsnet.ca.
Rogers is a leading diversified Canadian communications and media company. We are Canada's largest provider of wireless communications services and one of Canada's leading providers of cable television, high-speed Internet, information technology, and telephony services to consumers and businesses. Through Rogers Media, we are engaged in radio and television broadcasting, sports, televised and online shopping, magazines, and digital media. Our shares are publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: RCI.A and RCI.B) and on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: RCI).
Sarah Grossman, email@example.com, (m) 416.509.9694
Jason Jackson, firstname.lastname@example.org (m) 416.602.4033
Raluca Melniciuc, email@example.com, (m) 647.283.2148