COVID-19 - Business Resources
Please be advised that as of March 27, 2020, the Province of Alberta has announced additional restrictions and guidelines with regards to non-essential businesses and rental properties. The restrictions include:
- Closure of non-essential retail businesses. These businesses may choose to offer online shopping and curb-side pick-up.
- All dine-in services in restaurants and cafes are closed. Take-out, delivery and drive-through services are still allowed. Restaurants in a food court may stay open for take-out only.
- Closure of bars and nightclubs, where law prohibits minors.
- Closure of all 'close contact' personal services.
- Closure of non-emergency and non-critical health services provided by regulated health professionals or registered professionals. Please note: emergency and/or urgent care are still permitted.
- Protections for residential tenants facing financial hardship due to COVID-19 as well as property owners.
For more information, the Province of Alberta has provided complete details on their provincial restrictions on mass gatherings and businesses, as well as a list of essential services and facilities.
If you are unsure whether your business qualifies as 'essential' or 'non-essential' according to the provincial government mandates, please email BizConnect@gov.ab.ca.
Situational Information & Updates
- COVID-19 | Alberta Health Services
- COVID-19 | Government of Alberta
- COVID-19 | Government of Canada
- COVID-19 Q&A | World Health Organization
- Online Self-Assessment
- Government of Canada Takes Action on COVID-19
Emergency Preparedness for Business
- COVID-19: Pandemic Preparedness for Business | Canadian Chamber of Commerce
- Trade Commissioner – Resources for Canadian Businesses | Contains relevant and important information for businesses navigating challenges and uncertainty in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Coronavirus and Small Business: Keeping You and Your Employees Safe | Canadian Federation of Independent Business (CFIB)
- COVID-19: Tips for Small Businesses | Helpful tips as you navigate these changes and work to continue to manage your business and serve your customers. | Business Link
- COVID-19 Preparedness | Leduc & Wetaskiwin Regional Chamber of Commerce
- COVID-19 Preparedness | Edmonton Chamber of Commerce
- Emergency Preparedness | Calgary Chamber of Commerce
- Reference Sheet for Businesses | World Health Organization
- COVID-19 Resources | Edmonton Global
Financial Assistance for Businesses and for Your Employees
- Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan: Support for Canadians and Businesses | Government of Canada
- Employment Insurance (EI) and Sickness Benefits | The one-week waiting period for EI sickness benefits will be waived for new claimants who are quarantined so they can be paid for the first week of their claim.
- COVID-19 and Business Insurance: How Coverage is Triggered | Insurance Bureau of Canada
- Alberta Employment Standards Rules | Laws for minimum wage, overtime, holidays, job-protected leaves, vacations, hours of work, earnings, youth workers and termination.
- Free Credit Counselling, Budgeting Help & Debt Consolidation Options | Credit Counselling Society
- Coronavirus (COVID 19) Government Funding for Small Businesses in Canada | Canada Startups
- Facebook Small Business Grants Program | Facebook
- Applying for emergency benefits | CBC.ca
- COVID-19 support for employers and employees | Government of Alberta
- Coronavirus: Canada’s big banks to allow mortgage payment deferrals | Global Edmonton
- Worker's Compensation Board (WCB) - Alberta's Employer Fact Sheet | Worker's Compensation Board - Alberta
- Coronavirus Wage Subsidy | Government of Canada
- Resources for Canadian Businesses | Government of Canada
Other Government Information
- Public Health Recommendations for Food Establishments (PDF) | Alberta Health Services
- Personal Services Facility Recommendations (PDF) | Alberta Health Services
- Recommendations for Hotels, Hostels, and Inns (PDF) | Alberta Health Services
- Canada outlines measures to support the economy and the financial sector | Government of Canada
- What does coronavirus mean for your business? | BDC
- EDC stands ready to support Canadian exporters impacted by COVID-19 | Export Development Canada
- Support for entrepreneurs impacted by the coronavirus COVID-19 | BDC
- Prime Minister announces more support for workers and businesses through Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan
The Mental Health Help Line: 1-877-303-2642 | available 24/7 to provide advice and referrals to community supports near you.