Block Connector Initiative
Make your neighbourhood, a YAYbourhood by joining our new Block Connector initiative. Become a Block Connector today!
What is a Block Connector?
Block Connectors are residents who are willing to chat with the closest 10-20 households on their block, connect at an activity once a year and receive training offered through our Family & Community Support Services team.
Do you have the traits of a Block Connector?
Block Connectors are trustworthy, friendly, open, kind and attentive. They are interested in meeting new people, building connections and bringing people together. Does this sound like you? If so, we would love to hear from you!
What do Connectors do?
As a Block Connector, you would be asked to:
- Have a chat with 10-20 households on your block
- Help connect neighbours at an activity once per year
- Attend connector orientation
- Act as a contact person for your street, apartment or condo complex
What does FCSS do to help the connectors?
We're always here to help! Leduc FCSS will offer support to Block Connectors by:
- Providing connector orientation sessions to get you started off on the right track
- Supporting connectors with resource materials and training
- Helping out with the first couple of block connections (if needed)
- Maintaining a network of Block Connectors and keeping the group connected through emails and team gatherings
- Assisting connectors if they decide to transition out of this role
What are some other ways that connectors can make their neighbourhood a #YAYbourhood?
In light of COVID-19, social connections and community wellness is more important than ever. Sometimes it is hard to know exactly how to help. Below are some ideas as to how you can help you support your block, community and the City of Leduc.
- Commit to three acts of kindness, here is how you can be a helpful neighbour
- Distribute a I Can Help card
- Help make connections with Connection Cards
- Play Bingo
- Play 'I Spy' with your household
- Host afternoon tea in your backyard
- Organize a parade of lawn parties
- Hold a street chalk drawing competition
- Create window art
- Start a clean up party