Cart Content & Preparation
Waste Cart & Waste Material
Waste is defined as any household items that aren't organic or can't be recycled.
- All waste must be put in a bag and placed in your black waste cart. Your cart will not be collected or emptied if there is loose waste.
- Items like glass that can't currently be recycled are considered to be waste and should go in your waste cart.
- Use your waste cart for all sanitary products, wipes and diapers. Flush smarter. Sort it. Don't clog it!
- Glass drinking containers (pop, juice, beer bottles) can be returned to the Leduc Bottle Depot for a refund.
These materials go in the black waste cart for proper and safe disposal:
|Air filters||Cookie bags (coated paper)||Garden hose||Pillows|
|Air fresheners (countertop/car)||Cereal box liners||Gift wrap (metallic)||Plastic bottle caps|
|Anti-static sheets||Clothes||Juice bottles (glass)||Ribbons/bows|
|Baby food jars (glass)||Clay flower pots||Laminated paper products||Rope|
|Bakeware||Cleaning wipes||Leather||Rubber bands|
|Band-aids||Cutlery||Light bulbs (standard)||Styrofoam|
|Bottle caps||Coat hangers (metal/wire)||Lids (plastic/metal)||Soiled wipes|
|Bubblewrap||Dry cleaner bags||Microwave dishes||Static cling dryer sheets|
|Cassette tapes||Egg cartons||Needles (in safe container)||Wine cork (plastic)|
|Cellophane||Foil wrappers||Pencils||Wood pieces (small)|
|Ceramics/dishes||Floor sweepings||Plastic||Wrapping paper|
|Cigarette butts||Foam||Plastic bags||Ziploc bags|
These materials DO NOT go in the black waste cart:
- Clean recyclables
- Hazardous household waste
Organics – all food and yard waste, and many items made from natural materials.
These materials go in the green organic cart for proper and safe disposal:
|Ashes (cooled)||Corn cobs||Grass clippings||Pizza/soiled boxes|
|Bakery goods||Dairy products||Grease (kitchen)||Popcorn/bags (paper)|
|Beef & scraps||Dead animals (small)||Gum||Popsicle sticks|
|Bones||Dead plants/flowers||Hair||Pork & scraps|
|Bread||Dirt (small amt.)||Kabob skewers (wood)||Pumpkins|
|Cheese||Dirty paper||Kitchen scraps||Rice|
|Chicken & scraps||Dog waste (compostable bag)||Leaves||Sauces/spreads|
|Candy||Dryer lint||Meat/bones||Sawdust/wood chips|
|Cardboard (soiled)||Eggs/shells||Oil (used cooking/cooled)||Seafood/shells|
|Cat litter||Facial tissue (soiled)||Oily/fatty foods||Seeds/nuts|
|Cat waste (compostable bag)||Feathers||Paper (shredded)||String (cotton)|
|Cereal||Fish & parts||Paper bags||Tea bags|
|Coffee filters/grounds||Flour/grains/dough||Paper products (soiled)|
|Cooking oil (cooled)||Fruit/peelings||Pasta|
|Cotton balls (clean)||Garden waste||Peanut shells|
These materials DO NOT go in the organics cart:
- Clean recylables
- Hazardous household waste
- Plastic bags
Cleaning & Maintaining Your Organics Cart
Preparing your green organics cart for pickup is easy and will ensure all material can be emptied on collection day.
- Keep the cart lid closed.
- Line the cart with 100% compostable bags, paper towels or newspaper so material doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- Wrap material in newspaper or use approved compostable bags.
- Alternate layers of ‘brown’ material (leaves, shredded paper, cardboard, sawdust) and ‘green’ material (meat, dairy, garden waste).
- Store your organics cart out of the direct sun in a cool, well-ventilated area year-round.
- Put your cart out for collection on scheduled collection days even if it is not full.
- Sprinkle the rim of your cart with a small amount of baking soda, vinegar, salt or garden lime.
- Place a briquette in the bottom of your cart.
- Keep food scraps frozen until your scheduled collection day.
- Rinse the cart weekly or every second week with a water/vinegar mix or a diluted bleach solution.