Accessibility at the Leduc Recreation Centre
It was of utmost importance during the design and construction of the LRC that the facility provide barrier-free access for all. During the design stage, plans and access points were reviewed with the Canadian Paraplegic Association and design standards exceeded to ensure all guests could fully enjoy the facility. The facility adopted the Canadian Hockey Association Sledge Hockey standards for the twin arenas, which ensures everything from the dressing rooms to the ice is easily accessible for sledge hockey players.
In 2010, the LRC's commitment to accessible design was recognized by the Canadian Paraplegic Association's Percy Wickman Accessibility Award.
- Sliding glass doors in entrance ways
- Touchless fixtures in washrooms
- Walking/running track handrails tilted to aid visually impaired guests
- Push-button doors in entrance ways
- Wheelchair-friendly fitness equipment
- Elevator access to all three levels
- Full service elevator to elevated seating in the Sobey's Arena
- Lifts in the pool and change rooms in the aquatic centre
- Zero-grade access to the leisure pool and hot tub
- Field houses with rubberized flooring, which is better-suited for guests in wheelchairs
- Twin arenas that are fully accessible for sledge hockey
- Accommodation for wheelchair curling