On April 1, 2009 the responsibility for ground ambulance services was transferred from municipalities to Alberta Health Services (AHS) in a move designed to improve patient care, accountability and efficiency. AHS EMS supply ground ambulance services to our municipality and throughout the province. Ground ambulance services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Leduc Fire Services’ integrated model ensures ambulance crews are trained to be either a Primary Care Paramedic (PCP) or Advanced Care Paramedic (ACP) to support the city and surrounding region.
Levels of Ambulance Service
- Basic Life Support
- Advanced Life Support
Ambulance User Fees
Ground and air ambulance services are not insured services under the Alberta Health Care Insurance Act. Patients assessed and treated for injuries and sickness, or transport to a health care facility must pay ambulance user fees. Payment for services is the responsibility of the patient, unless covered by a government program or private insurance. If coverage information is not provided at the time of service, the patient will receive an invoice. If you have questions regarding an ambulance bill, contact us at 780-980-8475.
The Ambulance Credit Card Form* is part of the City’s 6-month eDocuments Pilot Program, and the electronic form can be completed here:
- Seniors – Age 65 and over, must apply and be enrolled in the Coverage for Seniors program
- Worker's Compensation Board – When a patient/worker has been injured on the job, it is the responsibility of the employer's worker's compensation coverage to pay ground ambulance expenses. Injured workers may also be transported to health care facilities by emergency conveyance vehicles that are not part of the province's ground ambulance program. These vehicles are operated by contracted employers and are not licensed by Alberta Health and Wellness.
- First Nations
- Income Support – if receiving health benefits from Income Support, Adult Health Benefits or Alberta Child Health Benefits
- Non-group supplementary insurance
- Interfacility transfer –from one approved health facility to another