The Leduc RCMP, in partnership with the City of Leduc, Leduc County, Rural Crime Watch and the Leduc Nighthawks, want to help citizens create a safer home environment for themselves and their families that will also detract from unwanted criminal activity.
The most common property crimes in Leduc include theft of property and vehicles, break and enters, mischief to property, and possession of stolen goods. Local policing agencies are working together to combat crime in the region, but they can't do it alone! Residents are the eyes and ears for policing agencies and their tips might just be the missing link police need to catch a criminal. Residents are encouraged to report any suspicious activity by calling the RCMP at 780-980-RCMP (7267).
Crime prevention starts with you!
Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) is an approach to crime prevention that focusses on modifying an environment – like a home, shed or shop – to reduce the opportunities for crime to occur.
Criminals learn to recognize potentially good or bad places or situations for crime. Making a few easy and cost-effective changes on your property can increase safety and act as a deterrent for criminals.
Taking some or all of the following steps can help make you a less desirable target for criminals:
- Lock your doors and windows, even when you are home
- Install exterior motion lights around doors and windows
- Get a safety deposit box for storage of important or irreplaceable documents
- Consider installing a home and/or auto alarm system
- Do not leave keys, garage door openers, change or other valuables in your vehicle
- Close the gate to your home when you leave your property, as well as when you are at home
- If you are away from home in the winter, have someone drive in and out of your driveway in the snow so tracks are visible
- If you are away from home in the spring or summer, have someone maintain your lawn
Do not post on social media sites that you are away from home as it can make you an easy target for crime.
- Video: Door security
- Video: Don’t advertise
- Video: Lighting
- Video: Natural access
- Video: Outbuildings
- Video: Yard maintenance
- Brochure: Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED)
- Brochure: How safe is your home?
- Brochure: Prevent break and enters
For more information, please contact Leduc RCMP at 780-980-7200.