Nothing could be simpler than grasscycling. Simply leave your grass clippings on your lawn when you mow your grass and allow the clippings to recycle naturally. Once they have been cut, short grass clippings dehydrate and break down quickly.
Benefits of Grasscycling
- Your lawn will be healthier because you are returning nutrients such as nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium to the soil.
- You save time and energy. You don't have to rake, bag or lug heavy bags of grass clippings.
- You save money on fertilizer because you have a free, natural fertilizer.
- You won’t need to water as often because grasscycling helps keep moisture in your soil.
- You’re helping the environment. You don't need chemical fertilizers, which can cause polluting run-off.
- You are reducing the amount of material the city needs to deal with.
How to Grasscycle
- Cut your lawn when it is dry.
- Keep your blades sharp and at a height of 6 - 7.5cm.
- Leave the clippings on your lawn as you mow.
- Mow frequently (every 5 - 7 days) so the clippings left on your lawn are small.
- Follow the 1/3 rule: mow often enough that no more than 1/3 of the length of the grass blade is cut in one mowing. If your lawn is too long to do this, cut short amounts over several mowings rather than all at once.
You can use almost any kind of mower to grasscycle; just remove the collection bag from the mower (only if there is safety flap covering where the bag fits into the chute).
Some mowers are made for grasscycling. Mulching mowers cut grass blades into small pieces and then push them into the soil. Manual push reel mowers use rotating blades to cut grass – and have the advantage of being gas and electricity free.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do the grass clippings show on your lawn?
If the clippings are short, they will be very hard to notice and they will disappear within three days.
Does grasscycling cause thatch?
No. Grass roots and stems, not clipping, are the primary causes of thatch.
Does grasscycling make my lawn look bad?
No. Grasscycling actually has the potential to make your lawn look healthier. As long as the lawn is cut frequently so the grass clippings are short and decompose quickly, grasscycling will not produce an unattractive lawn.
Is grasscycling messy?
No. Grass clippings dry up and break down very quickly. If you are worried that people will track grass into your house then mow later in the day so clippings can dry out and settle overnight.