Technology has its benefits – how did we answer questions before Google?! – but it’s important not to overdo it. Too much of a good thing can lead to some serious problems, and technologies like television and other electronic devices are no exception.
Studies have shown that too much time plugged in to your TV, tablet, computer or smartphone can harm relationships and cause mental and physical health issues, so we want to help Leduc community members to ‘unplug’ and reap the benefits of taking part in local activities and events that promote healthy lifestyles as well as relationship building and connection.
There are so many ways to unplug in Leduc this summer! The City of Leduc would like to continue to encourage residents of all ages to enjoy the warm weather and participate by unplugging from technology, and heading outside to enjoy the many green spaces and recreational facilities we have in the community. Check out the list below of events and activities you can take part in this July and August:
- Register for Teen Art with Kelly (ages 13-17) (July 11 and Aug. 8)
- Help celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Alexandra Outdoor Pool and join Mayor and Council for free treats, games and family activities from 1 - 5 p.m. (July 12)
- Explore over 100 local artists and artistans at the Leduc Arts Foundry Art Walk (July 13)
- Jump on the bus to the Sylvan Lake Aqua Park (ages 12 - 17) (July 20)
- Lock and load your water guns and bring them to the Outdoor Pool for our annual Water War showdown between the Lifeguards and the public from 2-4 p.m. (July 24)
- Drop by the Leduc Public Library from 11 to 11:30 a.m. for Patio Family Storytime, followed a nature related craft to celebrate Leduc’s Parks and Recreation month! (every Tuesday, June 4 - Aug. 20)
- The Leduc Downtown Business Association is proud to present the Fourth Friday of the month Downtown party taking place in the heart of Downtown Leduc. This party will include vendors, live music, food and more. (July 26 and Aug. 23)
- Sign up for the youth trip to the Snow Valley Aerial Park (ages 12 - 17) (Aug. 17)
- Set up a lemonade stand in your neighbourhood and celebrate National Lemondae Day (Aug. 25)
- Talk a walk through Leduc's History (ages 13 - 17) (Aug. 27)
- Check out the Meadowview Dinosaur Park. Built to recognize the hadrosaur skelton that was discovered in meadowview, children of all ages can explore the prehistoric playground and bring their imagination to life!
Pick up one of the NEW Get Outside and Play Packs at the Leduc Public Library filled with games, outdoor recreation activites, sport equipment and more!
- Take part in a ball hockey scrimmage at Alex Arena on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Available on a first-come, first serve basis, for patrons 8 - 17 years of age.
- Check out the Farmers Market every Thursday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Enroll your children (ages 3-14) in Leduc Summer Camps
- Host a Tim Hortons Coffee Pop-Up in your neighbourhood
- Sign up for a Youth Summer Membership for just $25 a month (ages 8 - 17)
- Don't forget to register Pollinator Garden for your chance to win!
- Take part in registered and/or drop-in programs at the Leduc Public Library
- Catch a show at Maclab Centre for the Performing Arts
- Relax with a picnic in one of Leduc's 50 parks and green spaces
- LRC Registered and/or drop-in programs
- Vist the Outdoor Fitness Park
- Go mountain biking at Lions Park
- Enjoy the warm weather and take your four-legged friend for a walk at one of the city's off-leash dog parks
- Propose a neighbourhood wide game of tag or hide-and-go-seek