Why use a rain barrel?
- Conserves water
- Reduces energy
- Saves money
- Rain water doesn't contain chlorine, lime or calcium
How to set up a rain barrel
Find a suitable location:
- Place the barrel under a downspout on a raised surface (avoid locations near gas or water meters)
- The barrel's drainage spout must be at least 5 ft. from the residence
- Remove existing clamp and elbow from the downspout
- Mark the height of the rain barrel and cut the downspout to redirect it to the top of the barrel
- Pinch the end of the downspout and reinsert the elbow (if it doesn't reach, an extension is required)
How to maintain a rain barrel
- Use a screen to keep out bugs and small animals.
- Winterize by draining the barrel, leaving an open valve.
- Turn upside down and store the barrel away from its current location