Leduc RCMP remind residents to join the #9PMRoutine
Leduc RCMP are asking residents to take an active role in crime prevention in their neighbourhood and community by joining the #9PMRoutine.
The #9PMRoutine is a campaign used by police agencies across North America to remind citizens to protect themselves and their property.
There are simple steps you can take to help prevent crime in your neighbourhood. Every night at 9 PM:
- Remove valuables from your vehicle and ensure it’s locked, windows are closed, and if possible, your vehicle’s parked in a garage.
- Close all garage windows and lock any garage doors, especially those leading into your house.
- Keep your vehicle registration and insurance documents secure. The documents can be used to commit other crimes.
- Check and lock all house doors and shut all windows.
- Turn on an exterior light.
- Close and lock your fence gate.
- Lock your shed.
- Put away bikes and toys in your yard.
- Park in the garage instead of the street, if possible.
“In most cases, property crime is a crime of opportunity, meaning criminals are looking for unlocked houses, garages and vehicles, but stopping these crimes can be as simple as taking a few minutes every night to ensure you’ve locked up your house and garage, and removed the valuables from your vehicles,” said Constable Cheri-Lee Smith.
Constable Cheri-Lee Smith
Leduc RCMP Media Liaison