Reduced speed limits are now in effect
The Leduc RCMP and City of Leduc remind the public that all Leduc school zone speed limits are 30 km/hr and are in effect every school day from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The speed limit on residential streets is now 40 km/hr.
Drivers are reminded to be aware that there will be an increase in pedestrians, cyclists and motor vehicle traffic on the roads and walkways throughout the City of Leduc.
Motorists are encouraged to review these traffice safety tips to ensure everyone shares the road safely and stays safe this school year:
- Pay attention to posted speed limits, especially when entering school or playground zones. Slow speeds can improve your reaction time.
- When a school bus is flashing its alternating red lights, stop and do not pass. Children may be on or off-loading.
- Share the road with cyclists. Be patient when following and provide extra space when passing.
- When pedestrians are crossing the street, come to a complete stop and do not block the crosswalk with your vehicle. Ensure pedestrians have cleared the road before proceeding.
- Always follow the direction of crossing guards. Crossing guards are there to keep children safe.
- Look out for children, especially during school operating hours. Kids can easily become distracted and unaware of their surroundings.
“Heading back to school is an exciting time for students, parents and community members. It also needs to be a safe time for everyone” says Constable Cheri-Lee Smith. “We encourage parents to talk with their children about the rules of the road and plan a safe route to school in advance”.
The Leduc RCMP and City of Leduc wish all students, staff, parents and guardians a safe and happy start to the school year.