Aquatic Centre temporary closure begins Aug. 25
Hold the splash! The aquatic centre in the Leduc Recreation Centre will be temporarily closed from Aug. 25–Oct. 21 to allow for deep cleaning and extensive maintenance/upgrades. The facility will re-open in phases, beginning in mid-September.
"Completing important maintenance in the aquatic centre will help keep the facility in good working order for years to come and improve the swimming experience,” says City of Leduc Mayor Bob Young. “We’ll be working hard to get you back in the water as soon as possible and thank our partners in the City of Beaumont for opening their doors to LRC members in the meantime.”
The work being completed will include:
- Installing a new filtration system in the leisure pool and whirlpool.
- Transitioning the entire facility to a new state-of-the-art disinfection system called WAPO Chlor.
- Installing new heat exchanges in the whirlpool, allowing it to heat up faster.
- Installing carbon dioxide gas feeds to the whirlpool and hot tub to lower the pH (acidity) of the water.
- Tiling and grouting trouble spots in the leisure pool and deck will make the surface smoother.
- Upgrading the sewer line.
- A deep clean, including equipment, surfaces, toys, structures and changing rooms. The pools (with the exception of the main pool) will be drained and cleaned.
From Aug. 25 to Sept. 16, LRC members will have access to the Beaumont Sports and Recreation Centre. Fall session swim lessons and aquafit programming is expected to begin at the end of September.